Monday, August 10, 2026

Mirror today 5

Why does failure hurt me so much?

The ancients would probably ask us a rather uncomfortable question:

“Did you fail—or did your expectation fail?”

We often treat failure as a judgment on ourselves.

An examination went badly → I am a failure.

A business venture collapsed → I am not capable.

Someone rejected us → I am not good enough.

But the ancient philosophers made an important distinction:

An event is not the same thing as our judgment about the event.

The Stoics would say: you cannot always control the result. You can control the effort, preparation, courage and conduct with which you meet it.

The Bhagavad Gita expresses the same wisdom in a different language:

“Karmanye vādhikāraste mā phaleṣu kadācana.”

You have authority over your action, but not over its fruits.

That does not mean that we should become indifferent to success.

It means:

Give your best to the work.

Learn from the result.

But don't make the result your identity.

The ancient mirror

When failure comes, ask four questions:

What was actually within my control?

What did I learn that success would never have taught me?

What can I do differently next time?

Am I calling myself a failure merely because something I attempted failed?

There is a profound difference between:

“I failed.”

and

“This attempt failed.”

The first attacks the person.

The second examines the experience.

And perhaps that is the lesson the ancients would give us today:

**Failure is an event.

It need not become an identity.**

Sometimes the closed door is not telling us “You are incapable.”

It is asking:

“What did you learn before you knock again?”

Mirror Today:

Don't measure your worth by the outcome of one attempt. Measure yourself by what you become because you had the courage to attempt it.

No comments: