Why am I afraid of growing old?
Ageing is one of the few certainties in life—and yet we spend enormous energy pretending it will not happen.
The ancient Indian thinkers would probably tell us:
“You are afraid because you are identifying yourself with what changes.”
The body changes.
Appearance changes.
Strength changes.
Possessions come and go.
Positions disappear.
People we love may leave us.
But the self is deeper than these changing circumstances.
The Bhagavad Gita gives this remarkable perspective:
“Just as a person gives up worn-out clothes and puts on new ones, the embodied self gives up old bodies and takes on new ones.”
The point is not merely about rebirth.
It is a profound lesson about impermanence.
We suffer when we demand that life remain as it was.
The Stoics would say something similar.
Marcus Aurelius repeatedly reminded himself that everything in nature changes.
Youth is not permanent.
Beauty is not permanent.
Power is not permanent.
Even reputation is not permanent.
So the question is not:
“How do I stop ageing?”
It is:
“How do I age without becoming smaller inside?”
That changes everything.
Growing older can mean:
less physical strength, but greater perspective;
fewer ambitions, but clearer priorities;
fewer possessions, but greater appreciation;
less desire to impress, but greater freedom to be oneself;
fewer years ahead, but a deeper appreciation of each day.
The ancient mirror
Ask yourself:
What am I losing because I am growing older—and what am I gaining?
Perhaps wisdom is partly the ability to stop fighting realities that cannot be changed.
The ancients would not tell us to deny ageing.
They would tell us to use it.
Let every year remove something unnecessary.
Let experience make you gentler.
Let impermanence make you grateful.
Let the awareness of mortality make today's life more meaningful.
Mirror Today
Ageing is not life taking something away from you.
It is life asking what you have finally learned to keep.
And perhaps the greatest victory over age is not looking young.
It is reaching an age where you no longer need to.
No comments:
Post a Comment