Monday, August 10, 2026

Mirror today 8

Why do I never feel I have enough?

We earn more.

Then we want a little more.

We acquire something.

Soon we are thinking about the next thing.

Our income rises, but somehow the definition of “enough” rises with it.

The ancients would probably ask us:

“Do you want more—or do you want to feel secure?”

Those are not the same thing.

The Stoic lesson

The Stoics did not say money was bad.

They said something more subtle:

Money is useful. But it should remain a servant, not become the master.

Epictetus taught that freedom comes from not making our happiness dependent upon things outside our control.

A person with little who constantly desires more may be poorer in spirit than someone with much who knows when to say:

“This is enough.”

The Indian wisdom

The Indian tradition has never treated wealth itself as sinful.

Artha is one of the four legitimate goals of human life.

We need wealth.

We need security.

We have responsibilities towards family and society.

But wealth is meant to exist within Dharma.

The problem begins when Artha becomes the whole purpose of life.

The question changes from:

“How much do I need?”

to:

“How much will finally be enough?”

And that second question is much harder.

The ancient mirror

Try asking yourself:

Do I need this—or merely want it?

Am I earning for a meaningful purpose or simply accumulating?

How much of my anxiety comes from comparing myself with others?

If I had twice as much money, would I actually become twice as peaceful?

What does enough mean for me?

Perhaps the real wealth is not having everything.

It is reaching the point where you can say:

“I have enough to live with dignity, enough to give, and enough freedom not to be possessed by what I possess.”

And there is one beautiful paradox.

The more securely we understand that everything we own is temporary, the easier it becomes to enjoy it without being frightened of losing it.

We use wealth.

We don't worship it.

We save.

We give.

We enjoy.

We let go.

Mirror Today

Wealth can buy comfort.

It can buy opportunity.

It can buy security.

But it cannot answer the question:

“How much is enough?”

Only we can answer that.

And perhaps the richest person is not the one who has the most—

but the one who has finally learned where “enough” begins.

No comments: