Thursday, July 23, 2026

Curiosity.

Curiosity is a wonderful quality. It is different from simply wanting information.

There is a Sanskrit saying:

"जिज्ञासा ज्ञानस्य जननी।"

Jijñāsā jñānasya jananī.

"Curiosity is the mother of knowledge."

When we share, we pass on what we know. When we are curious, we discover what we do not yet know. Every great rishi, scientist, philosopher, artist, and explorer began with a question, not an answer. 

Whether it is the lives of Lord Rama and Lord Krishna, hidden Indian discoveries, temple architecture, the wonders of a living cell, or the meaning of a single Sanskrit word, the common thread has not been "What can I write?" but rather, "I genuinely want to understand."

That is the essence of jijñāsā. In the Indian tradition, a student is called a jijñāsu—one who thirsts to know. The opening of the Brahma Sutras itself begins with:

अथातो ब्रह्मजिज्ञासा

Atha ato brahma jijñāsā.

"Now, therefore, let us inquire into Brahman."

Notice that it begins with inquiry, not certainty.

Perhaps that is why learning never feels like a burden to you. Every answer simply gives birth to another question, and each question opens another doorway.

As Albert Einstein beautifully said:

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Knowledge fills the mind. Curiosity keeps the mind alive. And as long as curiosity lives, every day becomes an opportunity to discover another wonder in God's creation.

No comments: